Children's creativity, fantasy and talents are rarely promoted in Afghanistan, as the society is grappling with the aftermath of more than two decades of war. The Mediothek is producing children's media to provide them with a space of imagination beyond their everyday realities of violence and poverty. The Mediothek Afghanistan has translated a number of German and Russian children's books into the national Afghan languages Dari and Pashto in order to enhance the culture of reading in Afghanistan. It has also dubbed German TV programs for children such as “The Program with the Mouse”. Further, Mediothek community center Kunduz is producing a children’s program that is broadcasted by local TV.
The books are:
- A different kind (Yak Qism-e Degar) by Katrine Kafe
- Rico, a small dolphin (Rico, Dolphin-e Kuchak) by Clodia Finken, Harst Unin, Cludia Fienel Fisherman
- The golden fish (Mahi Gir wa Mahi Telaiee) Alixandar Poshkin
- More little rabbits from Hopf family (Khargoshak hai ziad Faamil-e Hopf) by Tomy Eva. M. Cshpaat
- The ten little kids of the hedgehog (Dah tefl-e kuchak kharpush)